Healthy Pregnancy Meals: Peppermint Mocha "Nice Cream" Shake
Leave it to pregnancy to keep you hot even though it's freezing outside. (Thank you, "baby heater.")
This is due to hormonal shifts, 30+ pounds you've gained, and the fact that your baby is generating extra heat. To compensate for the extra heat, your body makes more blood and your metabolic rate increases. This keeps your baby safe and cool, but leaves you hot and sometimes sweaty.
There are a few ways to stay cool, when a hot episode arises, including wearing ventilating fabrics and drinking plenty of water.
Those are important, but we prefer this way. :)
Copyright: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/profile_mizina'>mizina / 123RF Stock Photo</a>
This (dairy and gluten free) Peppermint Mocha Shake will cool you down while still giving you the seasonal goodness of warm chocolatey drinks. You can "health-ify" it with protein powder or superfood powder, or leave it alone and enjoy it as a healthier dessert option. Either way, it's nice to your tastebuds and your quickly expanding bump!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup SO coconut milk chocolate ice cream
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 - 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 packet decaf instant coffee
- optional 1 scoop protein powder or green superfood powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until everything is well mixed and smooth.
- Garnish with peppermint, mint leaves, or cacao nibs, and whipped cream (if there's no dairy allergy)