Healthy Pregnancy Meals: Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - Mumberry
Posted on 07 November 2016
Let's be honest.
Not everyone enjoys eating healthy meals. But during pregnancy, you might be feeling a little extra guilt when you choose that In 'N Out Burger over the mixed greens salad with grilled chicken and extra veggies.
The key to eating healthy pregnancy meals (and healthy meals in general) is all about finding what works for YOU and YOUR body and YOUR tastebuds.
So maybe you don't like salads - try stuffing greens into a burrito or wrap (something is better than nothing, 100% of the time!)
Maybe you don't find oatmeal (hello folate!) that appealing - try adding a scoop to your morning smoothie to to your baked goods.
And maybe you don't love the taste of veggies - find ways to incorporate them (even if you have to mask their flavor with something like chocolate...like we did with these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins!)
Come on, every mama who is trying her best to get down 3+ healthy pregnancy meals every day knows that the best way to eat zucchini is by combining it with chocolate.
We were pretty skeptical of these guys, but they turned out to be the richest, chocolaty-est, moistest muffins ever! They're gluten free, since they're made with oats instead of flour, and they have a whole cup of shredded zucchini, which has a ton of benefits for mom and baby! We think that makes them okay to have for breakfast every now and then, who's with us?
- 1 3/4 cup old fashioned oats, blended
- 5.3 oz plain greek yogurt (1 small container)
- 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or use paper liners instead.
- In a food processor, blend the oats until they have a flour consistency. Transfer to a medium sized bowl, then add the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, coconut sugar, and chocolate chips. Mix well and set aside.
- Shred zucchini in food processor until finely shredded. (1 medium sized zucchini equals about 1 cup shredded)
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs for a minute or two until light and fluffy. Add brown sugar, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla to the bowl and whisk until well combined. Fold in the zucchini.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is moist, but be careful not to over-mix. It's okay if there are lumps in this batter.
- Fill muffin tins with batter about 3/4 of the way full and place in the oven. For regular-sized muffins, bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve, or store in a cool, airtight container for up to three days.
- Working While Pregnant: How to Stay Comfortable
While being pregnant is an extremely exciting time, it is very draining, and can be quite a bit u...
- Too Much Screen Time? How to Motivate Your Kids To Get Involved In Extra Curricular Activities
With video games and modern technology it can be difficult to motivate kids to get outside. We ha...
- What Causes Stretch Marks And How To Prevent Them During Pregnancy
Stretch marks are caused by stretching of the skin due to an increase in cortisone. Most pregnant...