So, avocado cookies are a thing.
Moist, decadent, fluffy yet also fudgey, delicious, chocolatey cookies.
Since avocados have long been praised as one of the healthiest foods a pregnant woman (and anyone??) can eat, we took the liberty of trying them out for you.
And we're happy to say they'll probably be your new favorite healthy pregnancy snack.
Why Avocados are awesome for pregnant moms
Avocados are praised for their amazing nutritional content, namely the kind of fats they contain, but also a lot of other stuff! Like folic acid, calcium, and a TON of vitamins!
This helps with baby's brain development, can help ease morning sickness, boosts digestion, reduces risk of anemia, and many more benefits to you and your little one.
So think of all the wonders you're doing for your body as you inhale, er eat, these delicious cookies!
Why Avocado Chocolate Cookies Rock
They are still sweetened with coconut sugar which retains more nutrients during processing (unlike table sugar), but sugar is sugar and should still be enjoyed in moderation.
But we think you can afford an extra one since you're getting so many nutrients from that avocado!
Our second favorite thing (behind that they're made with avocado - seriously, we can't get over it) is that clean up can be done in the short time they take to cook!
A mama's dream.
We originally found this recipe on Sprouted Fig, and are a big fan of all the little substitutions she offers (like subbing banana for the coconut sugar, or chia for the egg.)
Avocado Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- 100 g. (a little more than 1/2 cup) avocado (very ripe, but not brown)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 50 g. (a little less than 1/2 cup) dark chocolate chunks (not optional, would not recommend omitting! Trust us!)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
**We added ½ tsp. vanilla extract and ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream the avocado and the coconut sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl. Use a spoon to mix, followed by a hand mixer to make sure everything is combined well
- Add the egg, then the cocoa and baking soda
- Stir in the chocolate chunks
- Add spoonfuls of batter to a baking sheet with parchment paper (they will stick if you don't do this)
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Transfer paper with cookies into the fridge to cool, as they are best when enjoyed cold.
Let us know how you liked them!