Women who are expecting a child may undergo a lot of changes that can be both physically and psychologically overwhelming. While pregnancy is indeed an exciting and life changing event, it is completely normal for women to feel nervous and even scared during the first few weeks. However, with proper skin care like using 嬰兒乳液
to prevent stretch marks, you too can face this journey with ease.
Expected Changes during First 12 Weeks
You need to first be familiar with the physical changes women can expect during the first trimester which is the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Symptoms like lightheadedness, frequent urination, heartburn, constipation, visible veins, skin changes which can result to flares of acne, tender and swollen breasts. You can also expect emotional changes which include moodiness, inability to focus, and forgetfulness.
With these symptoms in mind, it’s safe to say that you should start visiting a doctor as soon as you suspect that you are pregnant. This is to eliminate any doubt and risk that may come with misunderstanding why these changes are happening in the first place. Additionally, visiting a doctor can provide you access to professional tips and advice that ensure a healthy pregnancy.
Important Habits for Good Skin
- Practice proper skin care
Aside from adjusting their diet and partaking in healthier habits, expecting mothers should also continue performing their regular skin care routine. This is because pregnancy can come with various skin changes that more or less need to be treated properly. However, since the mother’s body is very sensitive during this period, certain skin care ingredients should be avoided as it not only harms the mother’s skin but can have devastating effects on the baby. Such as:
- Retinoids- are anti-acne and anti-ageing skin care ingredients that can cause physical birth defects.
- Tetracycline - are antibiotics that are used to treat. They can also damage a mother's liver and may cause discoloration to her baby's teeth.
- Hydroquinone - are usually found in skin lightening agents that specifically treat dark spots. This ingredient contains various chemicals that can easily be absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Phthalates - are additives that make plastics flexible. They are also found in perfumes and nail polish which also contribute to abnormal development for the baby.
- Formaldehyde - are cancer-causing compounds commonly found in hair-straightening products and nail polish.
- Toluene - coupled with formaldehyde and phthalates, toluene is also a known carcinogen that can cause severe physical birth defects.
- Ammonia - usually found in hair dyes that can irritate the mother's skin and lungs.
- Dihydroxyacetone - these are coloring substances that are usually found in self-tanning products.
- Botulinum toxin (a.k.a. Botox) - are toxins that help firm by paralyzing certain muscles. While no studies have been shown that links Botox to a high-risk pregnancies, mothers are still advised not to take the risk.
All of these are usually found in commercial beauty products. To continue your regular skin care routine, consider visiting your doctor to ask for any skin care recommendations. It also helps to look for organic ingredients that contain ingredients without added chemicals.
Creating an environment that is healthy for a baby's development is essential during the first few weeks of pregnancy. Doctors may prescribe certain prenatal vitamins that mothers should take. Some of which include higher doses of folic acid, calcium, and iron to facilitate better development and prevent birth defects. They also ensure your hair, skin, and nails are taken care of which can definitely keep you radiant throughout this period!
Another important factor to take into consideration is your diet which can help your baby’s development as well as ensure your own health. During this stage, it is important that mothers choose food sources that are rich in essential vitamins and minerals that not only contribute to your baby’s growth but also keep your body lean and strong.
Many of which contain the essential vitamins and minerals that ensure healthy glowing skin like:
- Calcium - keeps the skin firm and strong.
- Magnesium - prevents the acceleration of ageing effects on the skin.
- Selenium -helps maintain skin elasticity.
- Zinc - controls the production of oil in the skin as well as control the hormones responsible for acne.
- Iron - retains the skin's natural luster and radiance
- Vitamin C - fights against free radicals that cause ageing
You can get these nutrients from pasteurized dairy products, peas, beans, lentils, peanuts, sweet potatoes, cooked salmon, eggs, green leafy vegetables, lean meat, berries and whole grains. These kinds of food are important in maintaining beautiful skin throughout your pregnancy.
With all these factors in mind, it’s safe to say that mothers should pick up a healthier lifestyle by being careful with what they eat and what they apply on their skin. While pregnancy is certainly a beautiful and worthwhile journey, mothers should exercise extra precaution during this period by making sure the products they choose are safe and effective to use. That way they can enjoy their pregnancy without necessarily sacrificing their skin’s health.
About the author:
Cindy Mendoza is a passionate hands-on mom and beauty blogger from yesstyle.com. She loves writing about nutrition, fitness, pregnancy health and wellness for future moms. She hopes to become an ambassador for women health and welfare in her community. She is an avid traveler and a fan of different cultures and beliefs; immersing in various rural regions to contribute a voice to the oppressed by means of raising social awareness and participation in the community.
- 維甲酸 – 去痘和抗衰老護膚的成分可能會導致嬰兒身體出現缺陷
- 四環素 - 用於治療的抗生素，不但損害母親的肝臟，並可能導致寶寶的牙齒變色
- 對苯二酚 - 常用於專門治療黑斑的皮膚美白劑，這種成分含有的各種化學物質都很容易被血液吸收
- 鄰苯二甲酸鹽 - 使塑料更具彈性的添加劑，常被用於香水和指甲油中，此物質會促使嬰兒異常發育
- 甲醛 - 常見於直髮產品和指甲油，屬於致癌化合物
- 甲苯 - 甲苯也是一種已知的致癌物質，可導致嬰兒嚴重的生理缺陷
- 氨 - 常用於染髮劑中，可刺激母親的皮膚和肺部
- 二羥基丙酮 – 是一種著色物質，常用於染色物當中
- 肉毒桿菌毒素（k.a.Botox） - 通過麻痺某些肌肉來固定肌膚的毒素。雖然沒有研究顯示肉毒桿菌毒素與高危妊娠有直接關，但仍建議母親不要冒這些風險
- 鈣 - 保持皮膚緊緻
- 鎂 – 減慢皮膚老化
- 硒 - 保持皮膚彈性
- 鋅 - 控制皮膚中的油脂生成，並控制出痘/瘡的激素
- 鐵 - 保持皮膚的自然光澤
- 維生素C - 對抗導致衰老的自由基