If you're an oatmeal eater, it doesn't take long before that same old bowl of oats every morning might be getting a little old...
Which is such a shame, since oats are so good for pregnant and breastfeeding women!
Benefits of oats:
- Good source of energy - oats are a complex carb which means they have more fiber than "simple carbs" (like processed sugar, sodas, donuts, etc.) They are digested more slowly, meaning your fullness and your energy both last longer.
- High in fiber - Since they're high in fiber, they help regulate your digestive system (goodbye pregnancy constipation.)
- Good source of potassium and iron - Iron is needed to keep energy levels up, prevent anemia, and boost your blood supply since demand goes up during the second and third trimesters. Potassium helps regulate the electrolyte balance of the increase in blood supply, prevents muscle cramps, and helps your nervous system.
- Lactation booster - When you're breastfeeding, oats are known to support a good milk supply thanks to the high iron content!
Yes please, to all of the above.
Since oats are such a great addition to your pregnancy and breastfeeding diet, we thought mixing it up and refreshing that normal bowl of oats was a good idea.
This Strawberry Cheesecake Oatmeal:
1) Is SUPER SIMPLE to make
2) Uses only a few ingredients
3) Is reminiscent of strawberries 'n cream oatmeal packs, but is much healthier!
YUM! Let's get started.
STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE OATMEAL | SERVES: 2
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- Liquid stevia for added sweetness
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (can also be fresh)
- 2 spoonfuls Philadelphia Strawberry Cream Cheese spread
- Add oats and cinnamon to a pan. Cover with water and add a few drops of stevia and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir and heat over medium to high heat.
- Heat until the mixture is boiling. If you are using frozen strawberries, add them to the pot now.
- Reduce heat to low and let the oats cook for 3-4 more minutes, until desired consistency.
- Once oats are done, split the mixture between two bowls.
- Add cream cheese spread and swirl in the mixture.