Blend These Essential Oils for an Instant Stress Reliever During Pregnancy - Mumberry
Posted on 11 November 2016
Summary: Stress and hormones both go hand in hand during pregnancy. It is a phase where we endure many stressful situations. Essential Oils can help you fight stress during your pregnancy, but it is important to know which oils you can and can’t use during your pregnancy. I compiled a list of oils to safely use and also some blends/recipes you can use to help you relax.
Essential Oils For Pregnancy Stress
Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful experiences for many women. However, with that beautiful experience comes a whole host of physical ailments, such as nausea, vomiting, fluctuating hormones, and increased anxiety. There are just so many stress triggers for an expectant mother; finances, living arrangements, personal health, the health of the unborn child, and everyday responsibilities all take a toll on a woman’s mental state... and the well-being of the developing baby. This is literally the most important time for a woman to actively reduce stress and anxiety within her environment and herself.
Because of this, essential oils, with their many medicinal benefits, can be an expectant mother’s best friend. Essential oils have been used for over 25 years by midwives, doulas, nurses, and the everyday organic mother-to-be; and have been shown to be perfectly safe, and even recommended, during pregnancy. With the right oils and the proper usage, essential oils are a wonderful, all-natural, chemical-free solution for pregnancy stress. Follow these rules, steps, and recipes for pregnancy-safe oil blends, and you’ll be on your way to an easier, calmer, more stress free pregnancy.
Basic Rules for Essential Oil Usage During Pregnancy
Essential oils are a godsend for expectant mothers, but a few rules have to be put in place for the safety of mother and child. If done with care, oil blends can be useful in aiding women in all of the physical and mental trials of pregnancy. These are the general rules when using essential oils during pregnancy.
- First and foremost, never use essential oils during the first trimester. Most oils should be avoided during the first three months of pregnancy, especially if you are at a high risk for miscarriage or early term labor.
- Topical applications and diffusion are the safest methods of essential oil use for pregnant women. Oils should never be ingested during pregnancy because of the risk of toxic harm to the baby.
- Only a dab does the job. Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil beforehand. A rule of thumb is to never exceed a 1% dilution, which translates to 6 drops of essential oil for every 1 oz of carrier oil.
- While practicing aromatherapy, only use the diffuser for about 10-15 minutes. Pregnant woman have more sensitive noses, and too much of the smell can be overpowering, and can induce headaches, nausea, and even vomiting. This will certainly be counterproductive to relieving pregnancy stress.
- Daily use is not recommended for pregnancy. Only use oil therapy as needed.
- Avoid solvent extracted oils. During pregnancy, only pure essential oils should be used. Anything else may contain traces of the harmful chemicals used during production.
The Safest Essential Oils for Use on Pregnancy Stress
There may be other essential oils that are perfectly safe during pregnancy, but because testing on pregnant women is difficult, many oils have never been tested. Therefore, it’s hard to know of the exact effects on the mother or the unborn child. The following oils have been clinically tested, and shown to be completely safe and effective against pregnancy stress.
- Bergamot – Do not utilize on the skin before going out into the sun. Diffusion and wash-off products are the safest methods.
- Lavender, Spike
- Rose, Otto – This one is only safe for use during the third trimester.
- Ylang Ylang– This specific oil is incredibly pungent, and should be used sparingly.
- Sweet Mandarin
Essential Oils Blends That Will Help Fight Pregnancy Stress
Lavender, Frankincense, and Bergamot Hand Rub
- 2 drops of Lavender
- 2 drops of Frankincense
- 2 drops of Bergamot
Mix all three oils together and rub into hands for almost immediate relief of stress and depression.
Lavender Body Rub
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut or almond oil
Blend the lavender oil with your choice of carrier oil. Rub a small dab of the mixture between your palms and massage onto the neck and body.
Stress Aromatherapy Blend # 1
- 3 drops of Lavender
- 3 drops of Chamomile
- 2 oz coconut oil
Stress Aromatherapy Blend # 2
- 3 drops of Sweet Mandarin
- 3 drops of ylang ylang
- 2 oz almond oil
Sally Wong is a fanatic when it comes to Essential Oils. She learned many things from her Grandmother and is still learning new things about oils every day. Besides being an Essential oil enthusiast, she works as a massage therapist in Vancouver, Canada.
- The Most Common Early Signs Of Pregnancy
Are you experiencing morning sickness? A missed period? Notice that your breasts have become tend...
- How to Choose the Best Prenatal Vitamins
Taking prenatal vitamins before and during pregnancy is one of the most essential things an expec...
- 4 Effective Natural Remedies for Swollen Feet During Pregnancy
Like with everything good, pregnancy comes at a cost - and for many moms-to-be, the cost is in th...